Welcome! Please follow me on twitter @saraidefoe. Have a good reading.

Monday, December 12, 2011

I'm madly and unequivocally inlove with Nursing

I would like to start this blog entry with a quote from JK Rowling:

"There is an expiry date on blaming your parents for steering you in the wrong direction. The moment you are old enough to take the wheel, the responsibility lies with you."


Yes, I was one of the thousands of people who took up Nursing because it was suggested by my parents. And yes, I was one of the thousands of people who got attracted by the demand of the profession. And a final yes to include myself to the thousands of people who got pulled towards the idea of having great monetary compensation when you're a nurse. But this I tell you proudly, I am NOT ONE of those who had all these regrets because none of the above mentioned became a reality. Not just yet anyway.

It saddens me to see headlines of blogs such as 'The Biggest Mistake of my Life was taking up Nursing' or 'TOP 8 THINGS I HATE ABOUT BEING A NURSE'. It really does. I can only sympathize but not really comprehend it. Please, whoever you are, don't get mad at me for saying this: how can you resent something that you've worked your ass off? That you've burned your eyebrows for? That you've sacrificed for so much? Is it because none of your expectations has yet to come? I'm on my most realistic side when I say that you're just not waiting enough. I know I've mentioned this on my blog a couple of times and I'm saying it again, "Good things happen to people who wait."

That quote from JK Rowling really hit me when I first read it. There's a point in time that you have to stop blaming others (that include your parents, your country and your government) because the moment you are capable enough to control your own future, all the blame goes onto you. That is the big, fat, truth here. Yes, there maybe some moments when you just detest the way things run around especially when it's not your way, but things can always be done. In every problem, there is a solution. And I quote Florence Nightingale,
"So never lose an opportunity of urging a practical beginning, however small, for it is wonderful how often in such matters the mustard-seed germinates and roots itself."

If your problem is having to volunteer first before getting any decent job, then participate in groups such as Ang Nars whose goal is to eliminate false volunteerism. It's worth joining in than moping around about how the system sucks. I mean, don't expect instant gratification, instead wait and participate.

I love being a Nurse. I mean, I do agree with other bloggers mentioning it as an 'evolved' kind of love where in you just fell for it through the process but it's still love for the profession right? In the Philippines, there may be no other profession who's more passionate than Nursing. So I just have to say that be passionate and love what you've started because it is really an indulging feeling to have Nursing love you back.

1 comment: