Welcome! Please follow me on twitter @saraidefoe. Have a good reading.

Sunday, August 21, 2011

From An Unemployed Nurse Volunteer

July NLE 2011 results were recently released and I vividly imagine myself almost 2 years ago during the release of my examination. I imagined myself staring intently at the computer screen, clicking the Refresh button every 5 minutes or so just to check if the results were released. And there it was. I shouted like crazy, hugged my mom, called everyone I know. It was one of the happiest moments of my life. 2 years after, here I am.


I've had about 10 months worth of experience in a hospital and is about to start another 6 months for another hospital. After applying for what seemed like a supervisory position when in reality, I was just applying as a nurse volunteer, I got in. 9 hours of duty, virtually no lunch breaks, no pay. I was fine with it until I saw the news today. The news was about the decreasing job opportunities for nurses abroad.

I felt the pressure. I started asking myself, what do I do with my life after completing the required 2 years of hospital experience? Do I immediately apply for a work abroad? I'm not going to lie and say that I want to serve our country. I would if I were financially stable enough but unfortunately I'm not.

Do I want to apply for a job not connected to my profession? A job that actually pays. Or do I stick with volunteering and patiently wait?

My sister always told me that Good things happen to people who wait.

The truth is, I'm afraid.
I'm afraid of letting all my loved ones down.
I'm afraid of being an unemployed Nurse volunteer for a long time.
I'm afraid to make the wrong choice in life. I know everybody is but somehow, after watching the news about the decreasing demand of Nurses, my anxiety heightened up.

Now I feel selfish.

What's bizarre is I love my job. I enjoy being a nurse. There's this gratifying feeling when a patient gets discharged and thanks you for taking care of them. I'm not one of those people who regrets taking up Nursing. I'm not. It wasn't my first choice but I fell in love with it eventually.


(That's my friend CJ and me during our night shifts)

I'm just downright confused.

6 comments:

  1. i took this pic... it was from my fb album =)

    ReplyDelete
  2. thanks for this pic mam joanne! :D

    ReplyDelete
  3. I agree with your sister... all good things come to those who wait. We got still more years ahead of us, we have all the time in the world.

    I know you wanted to be productive already but, forcing things to hasten up might thwart things out of way. The time for glory will arrive sooner than you think mahal ko, trust me.

    I AM WITH YOU ALL THE WAY. I'll be your compass as you have been mine. Don't carry all the burden, because I also share half your load. We'll get there sooner or later.

    Have faith mahal ko, what were experiencing right now is just part of the journey, we are already on the way.

    Remember all the hardships we have both shared just to get where we are right now, with all the hiccups and detours, we conquered it all.

    Stay on the course, you are already on the right track.

    I love you as always

    ReplyDelete
  4. thanks for keeping up with me hon.. love you too..

    ReplyDelete
  5. Jolz, that is something that you'll have to sort out for yourself. If you read what you have written I think you can see that the answer is there. And be grateful that you have a very supportive family and a very loving boyfriend.

    Kelvin is right you know. All things will come to pass. You may be just a little bit too impatient, and that happens to the best of us. This is a trying time especially at this point in your life, but remember that you are still young and you have the future ahead of you. Have faith in yourself, in your abilities, and in the character that you have developed over the years- these will be the things that you can depend on to see you through. And these are the very same things that other people can depend on. Just pursue the thing/s you love - and things will just fall in their proper places.

    ReplyDelete
  6. thanks don moda! i guess i've just been too preoccupied by boredom of being housebound for awhile that thoughts just keep running on my mind.. thanks for your advice.

    ReplyDelete